Menu

They Came To Remember, To Learn And To Sing

Many churches across the Diocese in Europe have links with national history and St. George’s Memorial Church in the Belgian town of Ieper (Ypres) welcomes visitors because of its European and global links to historic battle sites – which is a key part of the church’s ministry and mission.

Royal Naval Division

Recently personnel from HMS SULTAN and HMS COLLINGWOOD took part in a battlefield tour “following in the steps of the Royal Naval Division (RND)” which had been formed from spare naval personnel to provide a defence force for naval establishments at home and overseas and suffered heavy losses at Gallipoli before May 1916 when the Division was  deployed to the Western Front for the duration of World War One. A new plaque is now in the church to mark the 11000 men killed on the Western Front.

 

Aldenham School

 Keeping the memories alive and educating today’s youngsters is part of the church’s mission and they also welcomed a party from Aldenham School in Elstree, Hertfordshire for a service to commemorate their war dead. Aldenham lost 163 former pupils and staff in the First World War and 112 in subsequent conflicts. In this service, another plaque was dedicated and Fr. Brian Llewellyn blessed the new colours for the school’s Combined Cadet Force.

 

 

 

Brasenose college

 

 

Twenty three members of Brasenose Chapel Choir from Oxford added a musical contribution during their visit with the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis by Orlando Gibbons and the anthem “Lord, for thy tender mercies’ sake”. During their stay the choir visited the “In Flanders Field Museum”, heard the sounding of the Last Post at the Menin Gate and learned from a tour of battlefields and cemeteries.

The website for St George’s Church is at http://www.stgeorgesmemorialchurchypres.com/